Posted on: 22 April
Balgowlah Golf Club celebrated its 95th Anniversary on 8th August 2020. Below is a brief history of the Club’s beginning.
Balgowlah Golf Club was the idea of Alderman E.W. Quirk of the Manly Municipal Council. The site he chose was Balgowlah Park, where a 9 hole course was laid out under the direction of the Club’s first President; W. Whytock. The Golf Club was formed on 8th August 1925 and those elected to Office were: President, W.Whytock; Vice Presidents, Aldermen W.J. Milton, L.E. Merrett and J.J. Butler from Many Municipal Council; Captain K.H. Jones; Honorary Treasurer, C.B. Cochrane; Committee, W.J. Baird, W Kidger, P.W. Ryan, E Emanuel, H.N. Gorfin, H.C. Marshall and R.H. Newman; Trustees, A.H. Oxlade and J.W. Cox.
The associate member’s office-bearers were: President, Mrs Dodds; Vice Presidents Mesdames C.B. Cochran, R.H. Newman and Miss Hindman; Captain, Mrs D.G. Soutar; Honorary Secretary, Miss Rae McIlvridge; Honorary Treasurer mrs C. McCoy; Committee, Mesdames A.T. Barton, W. Kidger and Misses A. Dalton, M Bullivant and M. Prendergast.
The Club’s first clubhouse was a shed given to the founders by the Manly Council. On 6 November 1926 a brick clubhouse was officially opened by the Mayor, A.T. Kierle, and alterations and extension were carried out in 1952, 1957, 1960 and 1974. The Club’s first Secretary was J.S.W. Eve and the professional was Duncan Denholm. Outstanding golfers have included Stan Keane and Lindsay Brown, both winners of the Queensland Amateur Championship, and Peter Headland, Australian medal winner.
Extract with thanks from Golf NSW publication The Story of Golf in New South Wales 1851-1987
Blackheath Golf Club, NSW tel: 4787 8406
Whangamata Golf Club, 2845 Waihi Road, Whangamata,New Zealand www.whangamatagolf.net.nz